How to clean your home fast
I’m ready, where do I start?
1. Dust top to bottom
2. Clean wet spaces first (bathrooms and kitchens, these are usually the most time intensive and require the most amount of energy)
3. Vacuum all at once (or one level at a time)
4. Mop all hard floors at once (don’t walk on these until they are dry as dirty feet will shorten the life span of the clean by 3-4 days)
What do I need to clean?
Invest in a decent vacuum and your life will change
Miele is my go to brand for their awesome suction and power.
Dyson is great for daily run around, but Miele and Shark are great for deeper cleans.
Avoid going for big, heavy ones and you will dread pulling it out each time. Light, mini, easy to run around. Technology has made vacuuming a breeze. Do your research on Google for reviews. Not just what stock the sales person wants to shift.
A good mop
Again, go with something that is lightweight, but cleans the floors. Checkout online reviews, but keep in mind that there are mops great for daily run around whereas others are better for that weekly/fortnightly/monthly “proper clean”.
The right cleaning agents and scrubbers for each job
No point trying to get soap scum off with a paper towel.
I like to use:
– cotton cloths (like microfiber cloths) for dusting and light scrubbing
– a non-scratch scourer for heavy duty scrubbing
– a creme cleanser for removing build up
– window cleaner for glass
– all purpose cleaner for benchtops and hard surfaces
– floor cleaner for mopping
Not much else. Keep it simple and see where you can use one product in multiple areas.
When should I clean?
Set a schedule.
I would encourage you to avoid doing bathrooms one day, toilets the next, benchtops the day after. You will feel like you are ALWAYS cleaning.
Do a proper reset of your home. Whether its booking a cleaner or doing it every Saturday AM. Delegate tasks to your home team (a.k.a family) and JFDI (Just Freaking Do IT).
Everyone appreciates the outcome.